The Domestic Violence Division serves persons seeking to petition the Court for a Protection Order who are victims of actual or threatened abuse by a family or household member.

Who Qualifies?

  • Spouse/former spouse
  • Boyfriend/girlfriend/dating or intimate relationship, or former of these relationships (same sex or opposite sex)
  • Co-parents/family members (over 18 years old)
  • Sexual assault and stalking victims 

What Can a Protection Order Do?

  • Restrains the abusing party from committing acts of domestic violence
  • Excludes the abusing party from your home, work, school or daycare
  • Requires “no contact” in person, by telephone, notes, letters, telegrams, pagers, e-mail or third party
  • Gives you access to the Court with a hearing scheduled before a Special Commissioner or District Judge
  • Provides other appropriate relief such as temporary custody of children and child support
  • Allows the police to arrest the abuser if there is a violation of the Order

How do I file for a Protection Order?

  • It is recommended that you seek the assistance of an attorney.
  • If you cannot afford an attorney, you can get court-approved forms from the Clerk’s office or by clicking on the forms section on the homepage. These forms are provided at no charge.
  • There is no fee for filing a Petition for Order of Protection under the Family Violence Protection Act.

How Does The Process Work

  • After you have filed a Petition for Order of Protection, the court will review the Petition and may enter an Temporary Order of Protection (TRO), an Order to Appear, or an Order of Dismissal
  • If a Temporary Restraining Order or an Order to Appear is issued, the matter will be scheduled for a hearing before a Special Commission or District Judge. At the hearing, the Commissioner or Judge will determine whether or not to issue a permanent order of protection. You should be prepared to present testimony and any evidence in support of your petition at the hearing.